Norm critical work in preschool

Here in the site forum I will post various discussion topics.

To comment on the discussion topics you will need to register for an account on the site and be logged in to the site to comment.

The discussion topics are listed below and you can enter each discussion topic to read comments and to reply to those comments.
Elis

Norm critical work in preschool

Post by Elis » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:16 pm

Here I would like to discuss gender in preschools and how teachers approach this aspect of their work from a norm critical perspective.

Please post your questions and comments and we can see how this discussion can grow.

LH

Aesthetic subjects and gender equality

Post by LH » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:23 pm

Do you think that aesthetic subjects are useful as tools when it comes to challenging gender inequalities in preschools? If so, do you have any examples on how?

Elis

Do aesthetic activities with children develop equality?

Post by Elis » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:26 pm

I will start with the base of equality, because that is equality of gender.

In North Korea art and aesthetic subjects are important elements within education, also in the Soviet Union in the past.

In these examples aesthetic activities were not used to achieve equality based on the right to think freely or freely express differences.

Therefore you cannot not say that art in itself creates equality

On the other hand aesthetic activities can be a powerful tools to communicate your own experiences, also in groups children share and learn from others.

It is in that process you can choose ways to go.

Will it be done by trying to get power over others, to obey someone or to make a situation where communication and empathy in the group can be developed with equality.

Working for equality and from a norm critical perspective in preschool can never be distinguished as an activity itself.

It has to be integrated within the interaction between children and children and teachers.

When you are in a creative flow you very much feel filled with life and presence.

In that feeling children can feel power of themselves and curiosity about others way of expressing and thinking.

The teachers role is to use aesthetic activities in a way that opens up for an awareness about different experiences and values.

It is indeed in this the understanding of yourself and understanding of others, the values can be shown, discussed and grow to be equal.

To give you examples Lotten, that shows how to teach anti-bias to gender in aesthetic activities needs a specific question.

There are so many.

Go on ask and me about that.

What would you think could be a problem?